Thursday, September 15, 2011

Make Your Marriiage Relationship Last

Q&A – How Can I Make Sure My Marriage Lasts?
Daily Inspiration
By John H. Sklare, Ed.D, Lifescript Personal Coach
Published September 15, 2011
www.lifescript.com

Q: My fiancé and I are getting married this February and have both had our share of toxic relationships. Our relationship has been the healthiest we’ve ever had. We are deeply in love and want our marriage to last. We’re already planning on premarital counseling with our pastor, but do you have any advice on having a happy, healthy and monogamous marriage?

-Jennifer H.

A: Hi Jennifer,

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. There are few things in life more satisfying, fulfilling and health-promoting than finding that special someone to share your life with. The key is to do all that you can to keep love alive and to mutually help it thrive. Let me first say that I have a very good feeling about your approaching marriage. I say that because you show an awareness of what an unhealthy and toxic relationship looks like and you demonstrate great wisdom by committing to pre-marital counseling. So you wonder what else you can do to improve your odds for success.

I have one suggestion that I feel strongly about and that my professional experience tells me works very well. One of the most powerful and subtle things you can do to improve your odds for a successful marriage is to have married friends who are in happy and healthy relationships. There’s something to be said about that old adage… birds of feather flock together!

Wishing You Great Health,
Dr. John H. Sklare
www.innerdiet.com

Follow Dr. Sklare on Health Bistro!

MY THOUGHTS

Making sense of relationships, especially marriage, requires effort.  It's not like instant coffee or noodles where you simply put hot water and, voila, you have something to sip or eat.

I've seen a lot of marriages that ended up in annulment and divorce.  But I've seen more that has withstood the test of time, so to speak.  They can tell you all sorts of do's and don'ts.  But the best one I've heard is having God in the center of the relationship.  It's not going to be rosy.  But you'll get to smell the roses despite the thorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment